Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dear blog -

I have been avoiding you. You leave messages on my cell phone, I don't return them. You email me, I delete them. You are in my dreams every night - me, just staring at you, not sure what to do next.

But, you persisted, I completed some reading for my class, and I think we can make this work. All it's going to take is dedication on my part. So, dearest blog, here's what you can expect from me now on:

     1.) I will no longer avoid you. We will spend at least 15 minutes each day together. I expect my
          students to write for at least this long every day, I can certainly expect it for myself.

     2.) I will write without fearing judgement. I will stop worrying about whether or not people are
          reading what I write - I will write for myself.

So, blog, we're going to turn over a new leaf in our relationship. I will admit that I have harbored some resentment toward you, even though you never did anything wrong. So, it's not you, it's me - but I'm going to work on that!

Love,
The Tattooed Teacher

6 comments:

  1. Kate-I took a class from Kate Kennedy this summer and she said something that resonated with me and I share it with my second graders. Whenever you are sharing a piece of writing-you say, "I just wrote this." No more of the... "This isn't very good. This doesn't make sense. Who would want to read this." Just say, "I just wrote this." Try it. It's a wonderful feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I loved that entry, by the way! How creative. I'll be a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the whole 'it's not you--it's me' thing! too funny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the I will write for me part...that's how my goal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this very engaging entry. It makes me wonder what my blog is thinking about me right now...or saying to the other blogs. Also, appreciate Kim's suggestion from Kate. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone! When I can't figure out what to write, I ALWAYS turn to letter writing...it's my little trick. Maybe a reply from the blog near the end of class.

    ReplyDelete